Importing a local database to PythonAnywhere¶
Thanks to NicholasMurray in the forums for this! He writes:
Assuming that you have phpMyAdmin as I had. To backup your MySQL database using PHPMyAdmin just follow a couple of steps:
- Open phpMyAdmin.
- Select your database by clicking the database name in the list on the left of the screen.
- Click the Export link. This should bring up a new screen that says View dump of database (or something similar).
- In the Export area, click the Select All link to choose all of the tables in your database.
- In the SQL options area, click the right options.
- Click on the Save as file option and the corresponding compression option and then click the 'Go' button. A dialog box should appear prompting you to save the file locally
- Use the .sql extension
- Upload the database backup to your files using the Files tab on the dashboard
Open a database console in the Databases tab on the console and type:
use yourusername$yourdatabasename; source yourbackupname.sql;
Then to view your newly imported tables
Then execute sql as normal
select * from yourtablename;